Go behind the lens, lights, and mind of twenty-year rock and celebrity portrait photographer Jeremy Saffer and get a glimpse into the world of music, celebrity, and entertainment photography using LED lighting.
Students will get the unique opportunity to not only learn everything Jeremy has to teach about using different LED lighting in a variety of set ups using different types of LED lighting, but will also a chance to apply everything they’ve learned during hands on demos and photo shoots.
After having the chance to observe Jeremy’s approach to using LED lighting while working with a band, it will be your turn to create images. The workshop will conclude with Jeremy reviewing and giving feedback to each student of the work they have produced.
• Introduction to LED- Slideshow of LED usages; LED application; Slideshow of BTS/final images/editorial/covers with spec breakdowns of LED settings
• LED Color Blending/Temperature- Reviewing color temperature theory/cold tone, warm tone, CTO; Reviewing color blending theory (mixing color); Show various LED lights and their effects and usages
• Camera Prep- A walk through of what cameras/lenses I will be using; Students prep their cameras/provided cameras prepped
• Studio build- Visual demo of turning classroom into a working studio with a full gear set up, and a break down of the gear/equipment
• Image review and feedback
10:00 a.m – 7:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m. – Intro to LED
10:30 a.m. – Reviewing color blending theory with LED (mixing color)
11:00 a.m. – Show various LED lights and their effects and usages
11:30 a.m. – Studio set up demo
12:00 p.m. – Break / Lunch (Time may vary)
12:30 p.m. – Pre-shoot QnA with guest/band.
1:00 p.m. – Live Shoot: Jeremy photographs guest bands
2:30 p.m. – Live Shoot: Students photograph guest bands
5:30 p.m. – Wrap up/final band QnA/feedback
6:00 p.m. – Image review
7:00 p.m. – Wrap/QnA
8:00 p.m. – Optional Dinner with Jeremy
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Anyone with an interest in portrait photography and lighting will gain much from this program. Music photographers looking to get into music portraiture. Any photographers who want the chance to photograph a band using professional lighting in a studio setting.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Having a basic understanding of photography, camera settings, and being familiar with your camera is important but students do not need any prior lighting experience.
ABOUT OUR WEEKEND OF WORKSHOPS WITH JEREMY SAFFER
Get the LED Out is the second day of our weekend workshops with Jeremy Saffer. Thursday is Business in Focus, Friday is Get the LED Out (LED Lighting only!), Saturday is Rock Photography: The Cover Shot & Photographing the Feature, and Sunday is Totally Tubular: Gothic Portrait Edition (featuring all Tube Lighting). If you would like to sign up for all four days at a discounted rate, make sure to choose the Four Day Option!